Tuesday, August 7, 2012

3 days away from our 5th year of teaching art in Kibera.....

We are less than 3 days away from Margaret and I departing on another amazing adventure to teach our Smart, Beautiful and Important students in the Kibera Slum.  It feels like going home.  Margaret and I have met to have our requisite, "Oh my god, it's a week away" coffee to realize that it all falls into place as if it has always been meant to be. This feeling has been honed over the years. As I am reflective, we have continued to become even more calm about this trip and less planful each year we go and as we approach our fifth, it seems even more natural. Phil Boroughs said to us years ago, it will never be as you plan it, and it holds true.  We get to make it organically happen and it ends up being amazing.

I could not be more excited to share this 5th year of this Art in Kibera program with Margaret Halpin, an exceptional woman, a great artist, a person who is a woman for others every day of her life and as my partner David would say, "she is a gentle soul".

We are excited to be visiting our St. Al's students, do our exciting work and share, teach and learn as we go.  Every year I feel this and I say it once again; it feels like we get more than we give; these students have changed our lives and I can't wait to spend the gift of two weeks with them to make this happen.

We fly Friday night!

Please come along with us on this journey as so many of you have over the past many years.  Please take the time to experience "our" Kenya and our love of these students and of art.

It is such an honor to be able to do this trip each year and experience such amazing outcomes that this has for us and the students.  It is the truest form of reciprocity and love.

I speak for us both when I tell you that we are filled with the gratitude to you all for the support and love you have always provided us on these journeys.  We are glad to take you with us each year.

With gratitude,

Charles and Margaret


1 comment:

  1. Hi Charles and Margaret,
    I have just stumbled upon your blog, whilst looking for Art jobs in Nairobi, some would say a coincidence- I know i was guided to it . I have just come back from Nairobi last week, on a mission with the Christian organisation Compassion, and to say that I finally home would be an nderstatement. I am completly in love wit hthe place, the people the noises the smells - EVERYTHING ... and to read your blogs has brought me to tears and also a step closer i feel and believe to where i want -long to be. I am an artist in my own style , and an art teacher and i also have a business here in the UK, Artfantastic - healing arts. I provide therapeutic art workshops to those in need of emtional scaffolding, those who need to have their confidence and self esteem lifted through the arts. To be a part of what yuo guys are doing would truly be my prayers answered, so if you could use me, or you know of any other school that could then please get in touch, I am coming back in October and i plan to look for work then but if you could help then that would be awesome. Th ank you for bringing your journey into my life, i too wrote a blog whilst i was there . www.anartistadventuresinafrica.blog
    I look forward to continuing to follow your journey of creativity, hope and love
    God bless
    Tracy Fenton 07807009208
    t.f.artfantastic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete